Thursday, January 10, 2013

3 Sociological Perspectives and Theorists

Without theorists, there would be no theory. And without theory there would be no sociology. Below are the 3 very important theories and 3 very important theorists:



There are 3 Perspectives of Sociology (<Click on this link to learn more):

-Functionalist
-Conflict Theorists
-Symbolic Interactionists

Here is an example of these theories when examining family life:



The main sociological theorists for sociology are:
-Emile Durkheim
-Karl Marx
-Max Weber



Discussion Question:
 -Which theory would you use most of you were a sociologist, functionalist, conflict, or symbolic interaction?
-Which theorist (Marx, Durkheim, or Weber) do you find most interesting? Which are you most and least excited to learn about? Why or why not?

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    I would use conflict the most as it is what I use so much I both my workplace and my personal life. I like Marx as he appears to promote stepping out of your comfort zone and don' allow religious beliefs to stop you. I would like to learn more about the functionalist theory as I do not know a much about it. It appeals to me to be able to look at things in a different way rather than the way I am familiar with.

    ReplyDelete